Forums Home

Forums  ›  General Discussions  ›  Health, Nutrition and Welfare

Kibble

I have twin babies on the way and am looking to save some money. I am currently feeding Solid Gold Barking at the moon. It is $60+ per bag. I would like to move to a non grain free food and save about $30 per bag. My choices are as follows. Is there any ONE brand that sticks out as better than the rest? How about the brand(s) to stay away from? Solid Gold Natures Variety Prairie Canidae Chicken Soup Innova Merrick Wellness There are plenty more available but not in the price point I am looking for. if there is a grain free choice I missed in this price point please enlighten me.
They are all good brands. When I did feed kibble I had used Soild Gold, Canidae, Innova, & Wellness (from your list). Do a web search for recalls on any of those brands. Then find out who actually makes the food. Many companies have a larger manufactor make thier recipes for them. The trouble insuring quality control. One doesn't really know how pure thier bag of food is when differant batches are run through during production runs. I was a big supported of TimberWolf until they stoped making it themselves. Shortly after that they had a ferw batch recalls. If you get it down to a shorter lists, let your dogs tell you what they like. My didn't really like Canidae, even though they love the Canidae dog cookies. :lol:
I was just talking to the local dog food store lady here the other day and she was saying Chicken Soup is a Diamond product.
Of your list I would try Wellness and Merrick without reservation and Canidae and Innova with caution. The others I would not touch. they are marketed as high end foods but have mediocre quality ingredients. Especially Chicken Soup that explains it if made by Diamond. The concern with Canidae is that dogs either seem to do very well on it or have pretty severe allergic/digestive problems. I haven't been able to pinpoint the ingredient(s) cusing this. With Innova you have to be careful and look at the Manufacturing date. the food is not heavily preserved and if it sits in storage too long it has a tendency to spoil and can make your dog sick. With the high protein foods, there is EVO made by the same company as Innova and BG Before Grain made by Merrick. Evo is higher protein content than BG I think low to mid 40s vs about 325, but from personal observation my dogs do better on the EVO. I feed about 60/40 raw to kibble and rotate both meat sources and kibble. Kibbles in my current rotation are Merrick regular (not BG), Evo, and Martin's K9 formula. Meats are whole ground carcass goat, rabbit, bison, and chicken with the chicken used very sparingly.
Thanks Paco great post! What are your reservations with Prairie, if any?
Prairie has citric acid as a preservative which has been linked to bloat and torsion in dogs. Secondly, it has montmorillonite clay. The dog food companies will tell you that it is added as a mineral supplement when in reality it is added as a stool firming agent and digestive maskant to offset poor quality ingredients and rancidity. The same thing can be said for bentonite (another clay mineral) and beet pulp. However, in the case of beet pulp the dog food conspiracies, sorry I mean companies, will tell you that it serves as a prebiotic because it contains fructose oligosaccharides. A prebiotic is a simple sugar that serves as a food source for probiotics (healthy digestive bacterial supplements) and helps them to colonize in the intestines. It's usually pretty easy to tell when a dog is eating a kibble with these ingredients. they strain when they poop and the turds are so hard that you can pick one up with your fingers and throw it at somebody without leaving any residue on your fingers.
8O Did you try this??? 8O Paco said: the turds are so hard that you can pick one up with your fingers and throw it at somebody without leaving any residue on your fingers :lol: :lol: :lol: (HAHA...sorry...but couldn't help myself) :lol: :lol: :lol:
No a few years ago I watched my neighbor's young son terrorize his sister by doing this.
I asked about Prairie because my wife picked up a bag of the New Zealand Venison on our local B&M recommendation. Once this bag is gone I am done with it. I WAS pleased at their solid poops, but now that I know why they are that way I'm all set! Its down to Wellness, or sticking with a less expensive version of Solid Gold. I have had good luck with SG, and like them so that may be my choice.......
Chicken Soup is made by Diamond. Diamond has a feed coming out called Taste of the Wild. It is made from all non domestic animals.
Im just going to add my question in here instead of starting a new one. What are some good cheap feeds. I usually spend around $19 a bag. I was feeding Black Gold PLantation Blend and thought it was great but its hard to get as its usually not sold in stores but from people's houses. So, I recently switched to Diamond's 24/20 blend and its nothing compared to Black Gold. However I have been putting Rice Bran Oil on it and as far of the looks of the dog I get about the same result as the Black Gold but not with their stool. Please give you advice on feeds and what you think about the rice bran oil. Thanks.
$19 for what size bag? I am paying about that for 15lbs right now...depending.
50lb bag
I understand budget limitations. Even if the dogs looks good on the outside concider taking some of the money you saved on the dog food and have your Vet run a Blood Panel to be sure your dog(s) are looking good on the inside.
My dogs have tests done and are fine. Im just asking for options on different feeds. Iv never even seen feeds at the prices you all are mentioning. If anybody has any serious advice other than put downs, then I would really appreciate it.
$19 for 50lb is cheap! and most likely a shite food. Sorry there is no other way to say it. The best grain free foods are going to run you about $60 per 33lbs. Its all about the ingredients, and their quality. Where do you shop for food mostly? Where are you from? it doesnt say in your profile, which makes helping you harder. Most of the kibble we speak of isnt sold in the big stores, smaller independent types are who carries it.
Im not looking for the most amazing food on the market. I dont shop in big stores just feed and farm supply stores. Like I said Black Gold is mainly sold by people out of their houses. So your foods are healthier but there also very rare which is where the major price hike comes from. I go through 50lbs. a week. Black Gold is the quality im looking for but its hard to get so I was just asking for some useful advice on alternatives. I live in south central VA. Price doesn't equal quality. I can always go up the road and get some Pro Plan if I just want to spend money.
You are showing your ignorance on the subject! Pro Plan would NEVER be in my dogs bowls. This fodo is not rare at all. Go to Solid gold, Wellness, Canidae, Merrick, Wysong, etc etc website and do a search for retailers near you. Speaking of Rare Foods, that Black Gold seems pretty rare :wink:
I feed Orijen. Check out the ratings of the different foods here: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ Best, ALV
OK BostonBull, please pay attention. My whole point with Pro PLan is that price doesn't mean everything. Its bout $40 dollars for a 37.5lb bag but I can get Black Gold for half the price and double the value. Its all natural and can be consumed by humans. Black Gold sponsors AKC hunts and is huge in the sporting dog world. Thanks ALV
Here is a link to Black Gold Dog Blends http://www.blackgolddogfood.com/blends.htm I have never heard of it before but my Vet has, and says she has heard no bad things such as recalls or illness/allgeries. BostonBull I KNOW you said GRAINFREE but over the years I mix my grain free with FLINT RIVER http://www.frrinc.com/ with AMAZING results (look at their compare chart), I admit I am trying my new CC pup on Instinct, mixed with raw pumpkin,poached duck and chicken, and sardines in olive oil..but to be 100% honest I have not seen any differences All my work dogs loved Flint river. offical site http://www.flintriver.com/
[quote=bulltaterbullies]My dogs have tests done and are fine. Im just asking for options on different feeds. Iv never even seen feeds at the prices you all are mentioning. If anybody has any serious advice other than put downs, then I would really appreciate it.[/quote] Advising someone to do a blood pannel to besure thier feed program is sound isn't a put down. Calling you a [color=red]HOTHEAD[/color] is a put down......can you see the difference? :wink: :D
[quote=bulltaterbullies]OK BostonBull, please pay attention. My whole point with Pro PLan is that price doesn't mean everything. Its bout $40 dollars for a 37.5lb bag but I can get Black Gold for half the price and double the value. Its all natural and can be consumed by humans. Black Gold sponsors AKC hunts and is huge in the sporting dog world. Thanks ALV[/quote] Paying full attention. Anyone who knows anything about Kibble knows Pro plan is junk! bad example I guess? Most Quality kibble costs around $40 a 33-39lb bag and up. By Black Gold sponsoring hunts and the AKC, means squat! Do you know why vets carry Science Diet? it isn't because its a great food, its because they sponsor vet schools! And then drive it into their students that their food is the best, get it? Black Gold may very well be the best kibble out there, but I don't buy kibble from my neighbor. Good Luck! Yes I said grain free, I have had tremendous luck with it since switching. BUT I am now looking for a less expensive QUALITY food. I have narrowed it down to Solid Gold, and Wellness. I know how they do on SG products, I will try Wellness and go from there. Thanks for all the great posts!
I have seen Black Gold for sale. There was also a booth at the Premier this last summer. I'm not a fan of the ingredient list, but if you want a comparable food money and caliber wise, try Diamond. I know of several people who do really well on both, though I am not a fan of the ingredient list. There is a reason the food is that cheap. A side note yes, several dog food companies make a wide variety of calibers of food; but that is just it, different calibers, not necessarily the same food or ingredients goes into each formula. After talking to several people who have worked for some of these companies and made some of these formulas, most of what they do makes sense.
OK Bostonbull, Once again, PAY ATTENTION. Stop trying to make everything an argument. For the third time my mention of Pro PLan is to say that price doesn't mean everything. Pro PLan sucks but it is also about $40 dollars for 37.5lbs. GET IT NOW? Also, I knew someone would say something about the AKC mention but once again you missed my point. I was simply saying that Black Gold is very popular well recognized in the sporting dog world. Good post Igmuska. I feed Diamond now but it doesn't match the Black Gold. I really think Black Gold is great especially for $20 a bag but its hard to come buy.
Which versions of either foods were you using? Both companies have several different formulas...
bulltaterbullies , 2 quick things 1 you can hit the Black Gold Link in above post and find a dealer near you or you can buy it directly from the Company. #2 BostonBull was looking for a GRAINFREE kibble..most of the good ones cost about a dollar a pound..the reason for Grainfree are many and you can see a difference in some dogs eating it right away..My Vet says grainfree is very important for no "Hot Spots" as well as many many other reasons. This site rates kibbles you will find that Black Gold is listed prettyfar down the list..and it even tells you why. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
Thanks NickD but I have fed Black Gold and know where to get it but its still hard to come by when you have to get it from someone selling it out of there home. I am fully aware that ehy have a website, I have the link on my site. The guy I was getting it from doesnt sell it anymore. Also I never tried to help Boston Bull find food. If you look back you will see I posted a separate question in here instead of starting a new thread because I am also looking for a new kibble. But as soon as I posted the atacks started.
Igmuska, I fed the Black Gold PLantation Blend(24/20) and it was my favorite. I starting feeding the Diamond recently and went with the 24/20 hi energy as a temporary measure. Im still hoping to get back to Black Gold but its hard to find a reliable source. The Diamond is ok for the money but Id rather switch.
If your not concerned with Grain Free but want a very good food, that I have had excellent results from and is rated fairly high try the link for Flint River..ships direct 2 your door..My dogs all loved it. I had some very muscled up dogs that thrived on it.
Thanks Nick Thats a good link. I see that Black Gold is 2 star and Diamond is a 1 star. So Ill look around in the 2-3 star. I know a guy that will deliver the Black Gold but only one blend. :?
[quote=bulltaterbullies]Also I never tried to help Boston Bull find food. If you look back you will see I posted a separate question in here instead of starting a new thread because I am also looking for a new kibble. But as soon as I posted the atacks started.[/quote] good points! you were too lazy to start your own thread so you hijacked mine, and then started hyping some preservative and filler laced crap that people selll like Mary Kay products! start your own thread if you want to hype that black garbage, I personally wouldn't feed it to squirells! there, now you can moan about being "attacked".
Stick with what works. The problem between the two foods that you are probably seeing is due to the level of processing of the corn between the two brands (BG uses a Corn meal and Diamond uses whole grain ground corn). I'm not a fan of corn, but when processed into a meal, it is metabolized differently. This seems to be the main difference between the two. Until you can find someone who will supply you with Black Gold, I suggest using one of the Diamond Naturals formulas, such as the Lamb & Rice, or even the extreme athlete. All of their Naturals formulas do not have corn, and though there are other ingredients I don't like, for the price, it's not too bad. Good luck.
You guys are going to love this! I went down today to re-up on food. I wasn't happy with any of the foods they stocked that were cheaper, and the more I thought about it the more I want to provide the best. I did some research into SG barking at the moon and there is better for cheaper. I had them order some Orijen adult for me, we'll try it and see how it works. I REALLY wanted to try out Horizon Legacy but couldn't find anyone around me who carries it. Sooo I went with 15lbs of Timberwolf for now. The co. claims that C&J produces their food now, and they have cleaned up their ingredients a bit. We will see. Orijen will be in end of the week or beginning of next. If that doesn't work I may have to seek out the Horizon Legacy. I am also supplementing with some Bravo raw frozen food.
this may be a couple weeks late,but is there a recall on diamond or something?i saw acouple people dismiss it like somethings going on that some people/I- dont know about?!premium edge seems to be an excel.food ,according to the label./which is all i can go on since im not at the plant whre they produce it.
[quote=BostonBull"][quote="bulltaterbullies]OK BostonBull, please pay attention. My whole point with Pro PLan is that price doesn't mean everything. Its bout $40 dollars for a 37.5lb bag but I can get Black Gold for half the price and double the value. Its all natural and can be consumed by humans. Black Gold sponsors AKC hunts and is huge in the sporting dog world. Thanks ALV[/quote] Paying full attention. Anyone who knows anything about Kibble knows Pro plan is junk! bad example I guess? Most Quality kibble costs around $40 a 33-39lb bag and up. By Black Gold sponsoring hunts and the AKC, means squat! Do you know why vets carry Science Diet? it isn't because its a great food, its because they sponsor vet schools! And then drive it into their students that their food is the best, get it? Black Gold may very well be the best kibble out there, but I don't buy kibble from my neighbor. Good Luck! Yes I said grain free, I have had tremendous luck with it since switching. BUT I am now looking for a less expensive QUALITY food. I have narrowed it down to Solid Gold, and Wellness. I know how they do on SG products, I will try Wellness and go from there. Thanks for all the great posts![/quote] nailed it boston bull!!!
I have officially switched to Orijen. The only thing that kept me from it was a local supplier. I now get it from my local B&M, and they have the warehouse add a bag to a pallet every time I need one. This is great food! My dogs are eating less, shedding less, and they look great! They are also pooping less and anyone with Large or Giant breeds can appreciate this fact.
Glad you found a kibble that works for you. We feed our pup orijen in the morning (well about noon) and raw in the evening. He loves orijen and for a kibble I think its been good. We eventually will switch to a completely raw diet, but for now Orijen is our kibble of choice :)
Black gold havent heard of that in probably 4 years, we had a guy selling it here too ( independent distrubuters ) and I used it for about 2 years, I was very happy with it until the guy moved I never have seen it again. I dont know if you solid gold feeders have bought any of the new batchs but a heads up, I fed the wolf cub to my young male and then swithed over to wolf king, I wont say anything negative about the food because it worked really good he is 14 months and been fed it since 5 weeks...........until the last 2 sacks, loose stools and gas on the first one and the 2nd one the dog refused to eat it, I have to buy mine from petco only place I can find that sells it, and they told me the company changed the fish ingredient, didnt really have in depth info on it, but my dog sure didnt like it. I switched him to evo, the chicken and turkey large bites 28 lbs for 47 bucks which is cheaper then what I was paying for the solid gold, it was a 33 lb sack but 55.00 and I am feeding less evo to maintain body weight. I really like the evo I have a 5 year old on it and she has done wonderful for the past couple years so I switched him to it as well, downside is the cost I really couldnt feed 6 dogs on it, wish I could but........
I dont understand many of the pet food companies when they change the food unless it is just for economic reasons. Here the same has happened to one kibble which I give my dogs as a snack between meals and the company has been taken over by another brand. Dogs are not happy and Im sure if they could write a letter they would. Wish they would leave what is already good well alone. Now I have to hunt down the more expensive brand and join a club to get discount, order online and get 20 kilos instead of the standard 15 kilos as my bonus for joining and every 10th bag free. Good perks but time consuming and planning needed to make sure you never run out. The other food I can buy locally but the dogs have really upset tums and loose weight now on the new recipe.
I use to feed Kirkland Signatures chicken and rice. Had really nice looking dogs too. However the bulldog scratches all the time on it. So switched him to Orijen 6 fresh fish....no more scratches and looks just as good. I am also feeding a lot less which means less to pick up. Less pick up is always good in my books.
Mostly good brands mentioned in the original question. I prefer Canidae, Wellness, Solid Gold and Eagle Pack. My dogs are currently on Canidae grain free, and i can't imagine them being in better condition. I look at things like shedding, coat sheen, energy level, stool quantity and appearance and doggie smell.
[quote="luvabulldog"]I use to feed Kirkland Signatures chicken and rice. Had really nice looking dogs too. However the bulldog scratches all the time on it. So switched him to Orijen 6 fresh fish....no more scratches and looks just as good. I am also feeding a lot less which means less to pick up. Less pick up is always good in my books.[/quote] Just to update on this post by myself...we are still feeding Orijen however the adult and not the fish. It is $10 less expensive and our dogs are going great. Bulldog use to eat 3 1/2 cups of KS and still looked like crap! Now he eats 1 1/2 cups of Orijen and is looking great! It is more money to pay at the cash register but less in the long run because I am buying food a lot less often. The store for me to buy Orijen at is a lot closer too; we use to have to drive 90 minutes for the KS! I only commented on the amount RumRum eats because our puppy is still growing so likely eating more then he will as an adult. LOL
I have feed Orijen For the last 8 months and have bought horizon regular and legacy they love the orijen they pick it out when i mixed horizon in I just got some legacy they still prefer Orijen. Orijen is cooked at 90 degrees Celsius I believe the lowest on the market maintaining the most freshness from human grade Ingredients so it is like Dehydrated human food my cat ripped the first bag of Orijen open right in front of me, I can use it for training treats. I feed some raw also but just a bit some times it's to rich for my dog.

The following is a list of The Advisor’s best dry dog foods. The foods listed here earned at least 4 of 5 stars at http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

The list is updated below. Thank you guard_dog

Gary

Gray will any of those work on a Caucasian ovcharka dog and what should the protein % be at for this kind of dog

Depends if it is a puppy or an adult.

Gary: The following is a list of The Advisor’s best dry dog foods. The foods listed here earned at least 4 of 5 stars at http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Good website.

Good website - wonder who sponsors them :)

5 STAR Foods

4 STAR Foods